When it comes to designing a living room, pillars can be a pesky obstacle to work around. They can disrupt the flow of the room and make it difficult to arrange furniture. However, with a little creativity and planning, you can hide a pillar in your living room and make it seamlessly blend in with the rest of the decor.
There are several ways to hide a pillar in your living room. One option is to use furniture and accent pieces to draw the eye away from the pillar. For example, you can place a bookshelf or cabinet against the pillar to make it look like a built-in feature. Another option is to use the pillar as a design element by painting it a different color or covering it with decorative ropes.
Whether you want to make the pillar blend in or stand out, there are plenty of creative ways to incorporate it into your living room design. In this article, we will explore some of the best ways to hide a pillar in your living room and make it a seamless part of your decor.
Assessing the Pillar
Before you start thinking about how to hide a pillar in your living room, it’s important to assess the pillar’s size, shape, and location. Understanding these factors will help you determine the best way to conceal or incorporate the pillar into your living room design.
Start by measuring the pillar’s width and height. This will give you an idea of how much space you have to work with. Additionally, consider the pillar’s shape. Is it a square or rectangular column, or does it have a more irregular shape?
Next, take note of the pillar’s location in the room. Is it situated in a way that makes it a focal point, or is it tucked away in a corner? Understanding the pillar’s location will help you determine how to incorporate it into your living room design.
Finally, consider the style of your living room. Is it modern and sleek, or more traditional and cozy? Understanding your living room’s overall style will help you choose a method for hiding the pillar that complements the space.
Incorporating the Pillar into the Design
If you have a structural pillar in your living room that cannot be removed, you might consider incorporating it into your design instead of hiding it. By doing so, you can turn it into a unique and eye-catching feature that adds character to your living room.
One way to incorporate a pillar into your design is to use it as a focal point. You can paint it a bold color or wrap it with wallpaper to make it stand out. Alternatively, you can use the pillar to divide your living room into different zones, such as a seating area and a reading nook.
If your living room has high ceilings, you can use the pillar to create a vertical element. Attach shelves to the pillar and use them to display books, plants, or decorative objects. You can also install a light fixture on top of the pillar to draw attention to it.
Another way to incorporate a pillar into your design is to use it as a base for built-in furniture. For example, you can install a bench or a bookshelf around the pillar to create a cozy reading corner. You can also use the pillar as a support for a floating shelf or a TV mount.
Finally, you can use the pillar to create a natural division between your living room and another space, such as a dining room or a hallway. Install a half-wall or a room divider around the pillar to create a sense of separation while still maintaining an open floor plan.
Using Furniture to Hide the Pillar
One of the easiest and most effective ways to hide a pillar in a living room is by using furniture. It’s a practical solution that can also add to the overall design of the room. Here are some ideas:
- Place a sofa in front of the pillar: This is a simple solution that can be effective if the pillar is not too wide. A sofa can block the view of the pillar and make it less noticeable.
- Use a bookshelf: A bookshelf can be a great way to hide a pillar while also providing extra storage space. Place the bookshelf against the pillar to create a visual distraction.
- Use a room divider: A room divider can be a stylish way to hide a pillar while also creating a separate area in the room. There are many types of room dividers available, including screens, curtains, and shelving units.
When using furniture to hide a pillar, it’s important to choose pieces that complement the overall design of the room. Consider the color, style, and size of the furniture in relation to the pillar and the rest of the room. You want to create a cohesive look that doesn’t draw attention to the pillar.
Another important factor to consider is the size of the pillar. If the pillar is large, you may need to use multiple pieces of furniture to effectively hide it. It’s also important to ensure that the furniture is stable and won’t tip over, especially if you have children or pets in the home.
Creating a Faux Wall to Conceal the Pillar
When it comes to hiding a pillar in your living room, one option is to create a faux wall to conceal it. This is a great solution if you have a pillar that is positioned in a way that makes it difficult to incorporate into your overall design. Here are a few steps to follow:
- Measure the size of the pillar to determine how much space you will need to cover it.
- Choose a material for your faux wall. You can use anything from drywall to wood paneling to create the look you want.
- Install the material directly onto the pillar using construction adhesive and screws. Be sure to leave enough space between the pillar and the faux wall to allow for ventilation.
- Once the material is securely in place, you can paint or decorate it to match the rest of your living room. You can even add shelves or artwork to make the faux wall look like a deliberate design choice.
Creating a faux wall to conceal a pillar can be a great way to incorporate it into your living room design without having it stand out as an eyesore. Just be sure to follow all safety guidelines and consult with a professional if you are unsure about any aspect of the installation process.
Adding Decorative Elements to Distract from the Pillar
Another way to hide a pillar in a living room is to add decorative elements that will draw attention away from it. Here are a few ideas:
- Hang a large piece of artwork or a mirror on the wall adjacent to the pillar. This will create a focal point that will distract from the pillar.
- Add a tall plant or tree next to the pillar. This will help to visually break up the space and draw the eye away from the pillar.
- Install a decorative screen or room divider in front of the pillar. This will help to hide the pillar while also adding a decorative element to the room.
- Hang curtains or drapes around the pillar. This will help to soften the appearance of the pillar and create a cozy, intimate atmosphere in the room.
When adding decorative elements to distract from the pillar, it’s important to choose items that complement the overall style and color scheme of the room. This will help to create a cohesive look and make the pillar feel like a natural part of the space.
There are many creative ways to hide a pillar in your living room, and it all depends on your personal style and preferences. Some popular options include using curtains, mirrors, or shelving to disguise the pillar and make it a functional part of your space. You can also use paint or wallpaper to blend the pillar into the surrounding walls, or incorporate it into a larger design element, such as a built-in bookshelf or entertainment center.
When choosing a method for hiding your pillar, it’s important to consider the size and shape of the column, as well as the overall layout of your living room. You want to make sure that your solution not only conceals the pillar, but also enhances the look and feel of your space.
Remember, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for hiding a pillar in your living room. Experiment with different ideas and see what works best for you. With a little creativity and ingenuity, you can turn your pillar from an eyesore into a stylish and functional part of your home.