The challenge of creating a stylish and functional bathroom within a budget can be daunting, especially if you have a small space to work with. It’s easy to feel like you have to sacrifice either style or practicality in order to save money.
However, there are various ways to create a bathroom that you love without breaking the bank. From maximizing storage to choosing cost-effective materials and incorporating pops of color and personality, there are plenty of options for turning a small, budget bathroom into a chic and functional space.
In this article, we’ll explore these and other ideas to help you create the small bathroom of your dreams on a budget.
Maximizing storage is an important aspect of creating a functional small bathroom. Clutter can make a small space feel even smaller, so it’s important to make the most of every inch of available storage. One way to do this is to utilize bathroom cabinets and extra shelving. These can be used to store towels, toiletries, and other essentials, freeing up space and keeping the bathroom looking clean and organized.
Freestanding pieces of furniture, such as a ladder or a small chest of drawers, can also be used as additional storage options. These can be placed in corners or other underutilized areas of the bathroom to provide extra space for towels and other items.
Another way to add storage is to invest in a bath caddy or bath fit. These are small trays or shelves that fit over the edge of the bath and provide a place to keep a book, phone, or other items while you soak.
By using a combination of these storage solutions, you can declutter your small bathroom and make the most of the available space.
Here are a few ideas for adding storage to a small bathroom, along with approximate costs and suggestions for where to purchase:
Over-the-toilet storage shelf:
These shelves fit over the toilet and provide additional storage for towels, toiletries, and other essentials. Prices range from $30-$100, depending on the material and style. You can find these at home improvement stores, such as Home Depot or Lowe’s, or online retailers like Amazon or Wayfair.
Wall-mounted shelves can be added to any unused wall space in the bathroom to provide extra storage for towels and other items. Prices range from $20-$50, depending on the size and style. These can be found at home improvement stores or online retailers.
A towel ladder is a stylish and functional storage solution that can be used to hang towels and other items. Prices range from $50-$100, depending on the material and size. These can be found at home decor stores, such as West Elm or Pottery Barn, or online retailers like Amazon or Etsy.
A corner shelf can be added to an unused corner of the bathroom to provide extra storage for towels and other items. Prices range from $20-$50, depending on the material and size. These can be found at home improvement stores or online retailers.
Under-sink organizers are a great way to make the most of the space under your bathroom sink. Prices range from $10-$30, depending on the size and material. These can be found at home improvement stores or online retailers.
Choosing cost-effective materials
When it comes to creating a budget small bathroom, choosing cost-effective materials can make a big difference.
Here are a few ways to save money on materials while still achieving the look you want:
Instead of splurging on expensive flooring options, such as marble or hardwood, consider more affordable options, such as vinyl or ceramic tiles. These materials are durable, easy to clean, and come in a wide range of styles, so you can still achieve the look you want without breaking the bank.
Countertops and vanity tops:
One way to save money on countertops and vanity tops is to choose a pedestal sink instead of a vanity with a built-in sink. This will eliminate the need for a separate countertop and can create a more open and airy feel in a small bathroom. You can also repurpose a piece of furniture, such as a dresser or a console table, as a vanity to save on the cost of a new vanity.
Glass shower enclosures can be expensive, especially if you have a custom size or shape. To save money, consider using a shower curtain instead. There are many stylish options available at a fraction of the cost of a glass enclosure.
If you want to add a touch of luxury to your small bathroom, consider using tiles as an accent rather than covering the entire space. This will save on the cost of materials and labor and still add visual interest to the room.
By choosing cost-effective materials, you can save money while still creating a stylish and functional small bathroom.
Saving on Materials:
- Choose more affordable options, such as vinyl or ceramic tiles for flooring
- Use a pedestal sink to eliminate the need for a separate countertop
- Opt for a shower curtain instead of a glass enclosure
- Use tiles as an accent rather than covering the entire space
- Consider purchasing multi-functional items, such as a bathroom cabinet with built-in shelves and a towel bar
- Invest in higher quality materials that will need to be replaced less frequently
- Compare prices from different retailers and suppliers
- Look for sales and discounts at home improvement stores and online retailers
- Consider taking on some of the work yourself to save on labor costs
- Leave tasks such as plumbing and electrical work to the professionals
Adding Pops of Color:
One way to add personality to a small bathroom is to incorporate pops of color through towels, plants, and decorative pieces. This can be as simple as adding a colorful bath mat or hanging a bright towel on a ladder or hook.
You can also add a splash of color with plants, which not only add visual interest but also help to purify the air. A small, low-maintenance houseplant, such as a succulent or a snake plant, can be placed on the windowsill or on a shelf to add a touch of greenery to the space.
In addition to adding pops of color, there are other ways to incorporate personality into a small bathroom. For example, you can choose a fun and funky shower curtain or add a decorative piece, such as a piece of artwork or a framed mirror.
You can also use brass fixtures and hardware, such as a towel bar or a faucet, as an affordable way to add a touch of luxury to the space.
Creating an Illusion of Space:
Light can also be used to create an illusion of space in a small bathroom. By incorporating natural light, such as through the use of mirrors or sheer window treatments, you can make the space feel brighter and more open. You can also add a light fixture, such as a sconce or a pendant light, to add warmth and character to the room.
Updating fixtures and fittings is a simple and cost-effective way to give a small bathroom a fresh look. Replacing an old faucet with a new one can add a modern touch to the space and is a relatively inexpensive update. Prices for faucets range from $50-$500, depending on the material and style.
Light fixtures are another area where you can make a big impact without spending a lot of money. A new light fixture can add warmth and character to the room and can be found for as little as $20. If you’re looking for something more high-end, you can expect to pay $100-$500, depending on the size and style.
Other fixture updates to consider include replacing an old bath with a freestanding one or adding a towel bar or hook. These small updates can make a big difference in the look and feel of the bathroom and can be done for relatively little cost.
In addition to updating fixtures and fittings, adding extra storage can also help to give a small bathroom a fresh look. This could be as simple as adding a towel bar or hook to provide additional hanging space for towels or investing in a small shelf or cabinet to provide extra storage for toiletries and other essentials. Prices for these types of items range from $10-$100, depending on the size and style.
By updating fixtures and fittings and adding extra storage, you can give a small bathroom a fresh look without breaking the bank.
Final Thoughts and Key Insights
Creating a budget small bathroom doesn’t have to mean sacrificing style or functionality. With a little creativity and some smart shopping, you can create the small bathroom of your dreams on a tight budget.
Some key takeaways to remember when tackling a budget small bathroom makeover include:
- Maximizing storage is key to keeping the space clutter-free and functional. Utilize bathroom cabinets, extra shelving, and freestanding pieces of furniture to make the most of every inch of space.
- Choose cost-effective materials, such as vinyl flooring and shower curtains, to save money without sacrificing style.
- Add pops of color and personality through towels, plants, and decorative pieces to give the space character and make it feel welcoming.
- Update fixtures and fittings, such as the faucet and light fixtures, for a fresh look without a big price tag.
Don’t be afraid to get creative and think outside the box when it comes to budget small bathroom ideas. With a little imagination and some careful planning, you can create a space that is both stylish and functional on a budget.
Common Questions and Answers (FAQs)
How do you make a small bathroom look luxurious on a budget?
Here are some ways you can make a small bathroom look luxurious on a budget:
Add some plants:
Plants can add a pop of color and a natural element to your bathroom. They can also improve the air quality and make the space feel more welcoming. Some low maintenance options for bathroom plants include aloe vera, bamboo, and philodendron.
Invest in good lighting:
Good lighting can make a big difference in the look and feel of a small bathroom. Consider installing dimmer switches or adding sconces on either side of the mirror for a softer, more luxurious look.
Update your hardware:
Switching out old, dated hardware such as faucets, towel bars, and drawer pulls can give your bathroom a fresh, updated look. Look for sleek, modern designs to add a touch of luxury.
Install a new showerhead:
A new showerhead can be a relatively inexpensive way to upgrade your bathroom and make it feel more luxurious. Look for options with multiple settings or those that offer a rain shower experience.
Add a plush rug:
A plush rug can add a touch of luxury and comfort to your bathroom. Look for a high-quality, absorbent material such as cotton or microfiber.
Replace your shower curtain:
A new shower curtain can make a big impact in a small bathroom. Look for a heavy, high-quality fabric in a bold color or pattern to add some visual interest.
Use mirrors to your advantage:
Mirrors can make a small bathroom feel larger and more luxurious. Consider adding a large mirror above the sink or using multiple smaller mirrors to create the illusion of more space.
Incorporate some texture:
Textured elements such as a stone backsplash, a pebble floor, or a wicker basket for storage can add depth and interest to a small bathroom.
Paint the walls:
A fresh coat of paint can completely transform a small bathroom. Consider using a light, neutral color to make the space feel more open and airy, or a bold, statement-making shade for a more luxurious look.
Add some accessories:
Finally, consider adding some accessories such as candles, a soap dispenser, or a small vase of flowers to complete the luxurious look of your small bathroom.
What is trending in budget bathrooms in 2023?
Some things that are popular in budget bathrooms include:
- Eco-friendly and sustainable materials: Many people are becoming more environmentally conscious and may look for bathroom products that are made from sustainable materials or that have a low environmental impact.
- Minimalist design: Simple, uncluttered design is often popular in bathrooms because it can make the space feel more open and relaxing.
- Multifunctional fixtures: People may look for fixtures that serve more than one purpose, such as a showerhead that can also be used as a handheld sprayer or a toilet with a bidet function.
- Smart technology: Bathrooms are becoming increasingly connected, and people may look for products that can be controlled by their phone or voice, such as smart mirrors, smart toilets, and smart shower systems.
- Affordable luxury: Even in budget bathrooms, people may want to add a touch of luxury and comfort. This could include things like heated floors, plush towels, or high-end fixtures.
What is a good budget for a bathroom remodel?
The cost of a bathroom remodel can vary greatly depending on the extent of the project, the materials used, and the location of the home. Here are some guidelines to consider when determining your budget:
- Determine the scope of the project: Will you be making minor updates or a complete overhaul? The more extensive the remodel, the higher the cost.
- Choose materials wisely: High-end materials can drive up the cost of the project, but there are also plenty of affordable options that will still give you the look you want.
- Consider location: Bathroom remodels can cost more in certain parts of the country due to differences in labor and material costs.
A good rule of thumb is to budget 5-10% of your home’s value for a bathroom remodel. For a home worth $300,000, that would translate to a budget of $15,000 to $30,000. However, it’s always a good idea to get estimates from contractors to get a more accurate idea of the cost of your specific project.
What color looks good in a small bathroom?
Color Choices for Small Bathrooms
When it comes to choosing a color scheme for a small bathroom, there are a few key things to consider.
Light Colors One option is to go with light colors, as they can help to make a small space feel larger and more open. Pale shades of blue, green, and gray can all be effective choices for a small bathroom. These colors can also help to create a calming, spa-like atmosphere, which can be especially desirable in a bathroom.
Bright Colors Another option is to use bright, bold colors to add personality and interest to a small bathroom. Bright shades of pink, orange, and yellow can all be fun and energizing choices for a small bathroom. Just be sure to use these colors sparingly, as too much of a bright color can be overwhelming in a small space.
Neutral Colors If you prefer a more traditional look, or if you’re not sure which color will work best in your small bathroom, you may want to stick with neutral colors. Beige, white, and light shades of brown can all be effective choices for a small bathroom. These colors can provide a clean, classic look that will never go out of style.
No matter which color you choose, it’s important to keep in mind that the right lighting can make a big difference in how the color looks in your small bathroom. Be sure to consider the natural light that enters the space, as well as any artificial lighting you may be using. By choosing the right color and lighting combination, you can create a small bathroom that feels welcoming and stylish.
How to make a bathroom zen?
Here are some ideas for creating a zen bathroom:
- Use calming colors: Soft, neutral colors such as light blue, pale green, or beige can create a peaceful atmosphere. Avoid using bright or bold colors, as they can be jarring and distract from the sense of calm you’re trying to create.
- Add natural elements: Bringing elements of nature into your bathroom can help to create a sense of tranquility. This can be as simple as adding a few plants, using natural wood accents, or incorporating stone or rock elements into your decor.
- Incorporate calming scents: Aromatherapy can be a powerful tool for creating a sense of relaxation. Choose essential oils or scented candles with calming scents like lavender, vanilla, or sandalwood.
- Use soft lighting: Bright, harsh lighting can be jarring and disruptive to a peaceful atmosphere. Instead, opt for softer, indirect lighting that is easier on the eyes. This can be achieved through the use of dimmers, candles, or soft white bulbs.
- Keep it clutter-free: A cluttered space can be visually and mentally overwhelming, making it difficult to relax. Keep your bathroom clutter-free by regularly decluttering and organizing your space.
- Add comfortable accents: Incorporating comfortable elements like soft towels, plush rugs, or a cozy bathrobe can help to create a sense of relaxation and comfort.
- Incorporate relaxation techniques: Finally, consider incorporating relaxation techniques like meditation or deep breathing into your bathroom routine. This can help to calm the mind and promote a sense of inner peace.
How can I upgrade my bathroom for less than $100?
Here is a list of ideas for updating your bathroom for less than $100, with approximate cost breakdowns:
- Add some plants or fresh flowers (around $10-20).
- Replace old or mismatched towels, shower curtains, and rugs with new ones in coordinating colors (around $30-50).
- Change out old or outdated fixtures, such as faucets and cabinet hardware, for a more modern look (around $20-30).
- Paint the walls or cabinets (around $20-30 for paint and supplies).
- Install a new showerhead (around $20-30).
- Hang new artwork or add some decorative accessories, such as candles or storage baskets (around $10-20).
You could also consider tackling a small DIY project, such as re-grouting tiles or replacing a vanity, if you have the skills and tools. Just be sure to factor in the cost of any supplies or materials you’ll need. With careful planning and a little bit of creativity, you can give your bathroom a fresh new look on a budget.
How do you make a small bathroom look cozy?
There are several ways to make a small bathroom look cozy:
- Use a soft, neutral color palette. Light colors make a space feel larger and more inviting, while darker shades can make a room feel smaller and more claustrophobic.
- Add texture to the walls and floor. Using tiles with a textured finish or adding a shaggy rug can add warmth and depth to the space.
- Incorporate plenty of natural light. If possible, use sheer curtains or blinds to let in as much natural light as possible. This will make the space feel brighter and more welcoming.
- Use wall-mounted fixtures and shelving. This will help to free up floor space and make the room feel less cluttered.
- Add a few plants. Not only do plants add a pop of color, but they also help to purify the air, making the space feel fresher and more inviting.
- Incorporate a few cozy touches, such as fluffy towels, a scented candle, or a soft throw blanket. These small touches can make a big difference in terms of creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
How do you organize a small bathroom with no storage?
There are a few ways you can organize a small bathroom with no storage:
- Use over-the-toilet storage: This can help you utilize the space above the toilet and keep items off the floor.
- Install shelves: Consider installing shelves on the walls to create additional storage space.
- Use baskets and bins: Baskets and bins can help you keep items organized and off the floor.
- Utilize under-shelf baskets: These baskets can help you make use of the space under shelves and keep items organized.
- Hang organizers on the back of the door: Use over-the-door organizers to keep items such as towels and washcloths within easy reach.
- Invest in compact storage solutions: Look for compact storage options such as a medicine cabinet with extra shelves or a corner shelf unit to help you make the most of the space you have.
What adds the most value to a bathroom?
There are a few things that can add value to a bathroom:
- Quality fixtures and finishes: Upgrading to high-end faucets, showerheads, and other fixtures can add a luxurious feel to the bathroom and increase its value.
- Good lighting: Good lighting is important in any room, but it’s particularly important in the bathroom because it can make the space feel larger and more welcoming.
- Storage: Adding ample storage space, such as built-in cabinets or shelving, can make the bathroom more functional and appealing to buyers.
- Energy-efficient features: Energy-efficient features, such as low-flow toilets and showerheads, can help reduce water and energy consumption, which can be attractive to buyers who are looking to save money on utility bills.
- A modern layout: A bathroom with a modern layout, such as a walk-in shower or a freestanding tub, can be more appealing to buyers and add value to the home.
- Accessibility features: Adding accessibility features, such as grab bars, a shower seat, or a walk-in tub, can make the bathroom more user-friendly for people of all ages and abilities, which can be attractive to buyers.
What not to do in a bathroom remodel?
There are several things you should avoid doing when remodeling a bathroom:
- Don’t skimp on materials: It can be tempting to save money by using lower-quality materials in your bathroom remodel. However, this can lead to problems down the road. For example, using low-quality tiles can lead to them breaking or cracking over time, which can be costly to fix. Similarly, using a low-quality showerhead or faucet can result in leaks and other issues.
- Don’t ignore the layout: A poorly designed bathroom can be inconvenient to use and feel cramped. When planning the layout of your bathroom, consider the placement of the toilet, sink, and shower or tub. It’s also a good idea to have a separate area for the toilet to ensure privacy.
- Don’t overlook ventilation: Proper ventilation is important to prevent moisture buildup, which can lead to mold and mildew. Make sure to include a ventilation fan in your bathroom remodel or consider installing a window to allow for natural ventilation.
- Don’t forget about accessibility: If you or someone in your household has mobility issues, it’s important to consider accessibility in your bathroom remodel. This could include adding features such as grab bars and a walk-in shower to make the bathroom more user-friendly.
- Don’t neglect the importance of lighting: Proper lighting is essential for tasks such as applying makeup or shaving. Make sure to include a mix of overhead and task lighting in your bathroom remodel. This will ensure that you have adequate light for all of your needs.
Are grey bathrooms out of style?
There is no hard and fast rule about what is “in style” when it comes to bathroom design. Grey is a neutral color that can be used in a variety of bathroom styles and can be paired with a range of other colors to create a cohesive look. Ultimately, the style of your bathroom should reflect your personal taste and preferences, and as long as you love the way it looks, it will never be out of style.
How do I maximize my shower space in a small bathroom?
Here are a few ideas for maximizing shower space in a small bathroom:
- Install a corner shower: A corner shower takes up less space than a traditional shower because it fits into the corner of the room.
- Use a shower curtain or glass door: A shower curtain or glass door can help to enclose the shower area and make it feel more spacious.
- Choose a smaller showerhead: A smaller showerhead takes up less space and can also help to save water.
- Use a shower niche: A shower niche is a built-in shelf or alcove in the wall that can be used to store shampoo, soap, and other shower essentials. This frees up space on the shower floor and helps to declutter the area.
- Install a fold-down seat: If you have limited space, consider installing a fold-down seat in the shower. This can be useful for sitting down to wash or shave your legs, and can be easily folded up when not in use.
- Use a sliding door: A sliding door takes up less space than a hinged door because it doesn’t require any additional room to open and close.
- Use a handheld showerhead: A handheld showerhead can be mounted to the wall or the showerhead pipe, allowing you to use it in a variety of positions and making it easier to reach all areas of your body. This can be especially helpful in a small shower where you may not have room to move around.
Can you put a shower in a small bathroom?
Yes, it is possible to install a shower in a small bathroom. There are many options for showers that are designed to fit in small spaces.
Some options include corner showers, which can be installed in the corner of the bathroom to save space, and walk-in showers, which do not have a door and can be installed in a space as small as 36 inches by 36 inches.
Other options include using a shower enclosure with a sliding door or a folding door, which can help save space in the bathroom. It is also possible to install a shower-tub combination in a small bathroom if you prefer to have the option of taking a bath. If you are considering installing a shower in a small bathroom, it is a good idea to consult with a professional to determine the best option for your space.
What not to do in a small bathroom?
There are a few things you should try to avoid when designing or renovating a small bathroom:
- Overcrowding the space with too many large or bulky items. This can make the bathroom feel cramped and cluttered.
- Using dark colors or busy patterns on the walls or floor. These can make the space feel smaller and more claustrophobic.
- Skimping on storage. Even a small bathroom can benefit from having plenty of storage space for towels, toiletries, and other essentials.
- Installing a bathtub if you don’t have space for one. A shower is usually a more practical choice in a small bathroom.
- Neglecting ventilation. Good ventilation is important in any bathroom, but it’s especially crucial in a small space to prevent moisture buildup and mold growth.
- Ignoring the layout. The layout of a small bathroom is important to ensure that the space is functional and efficient.
How much does it cost to put a walk in shower on a small bathroom?
There are many factors that can affect the cost of installing a walk-in shower in a small bathroom, including the size of the bathroom, the type of shower you choose, and the materials and labor costs in your area.
On average, you can expect to pay between $1,000 and $10,000 to install a walk-in shower in a small bathroom, with the average cost coming in around $4,000. This cost can be higher or lower depending on the specific features and finishes you choose for your shower.
It is always a good idea to get estimates from several contractors before making a decision, as the cost can vary widely depending on the specific details of your project.
Do small or large tiles make a shower look bigger?
Using smaller tiles can make a shower look larger, because they create more grout lines, which can break up the surface and make it look more expansive. Larger tiles can make a shower feel more spacious, because they have fewer grout lines and create a more seamless look.
Ultimately, the size of the tiles that you choose will depend on your personal preference and the style of your bathroom. If you want to create the illusion of more space, you may want to consider using smaller tiles, especially if you are using a light-colored grout. If you want a more modern, minimalist look, larger tiles may be a better choice.
What is the smallest size a bathroom can be
There are no strict rules regarding the minimum size for a bathroom.
However, it is generally recommended that a bathroom be at least 100 square feet in order to be functional and comfortable. If a bathroom is much smaller than this, it may feel cramped and be difficult to use. It is also important to consider the layout and design of the bathroom in order to ensure that it is efficient and easy to use.